The Second Amendment in New York State
New York State permits qualifying residents to possess handguns if approved by a duly appointed licensing officer. Specifically, article 400 of New York Penal Law lays out the requirements for purchasing a pistol permit. Pistol permits are divided into several types, including business pistol permits, premises permits, concealed carry permits, and sportsman permits.
It is beneficial for a pistol permit applicant to retain a lawyer to assist them with their application in many cases. One of the main reasons an applicant can be barred from obtaining a pistol permit is failing to mention an arrest, conviction, or some other interactions with law enforcement. This is often due to the applicant failing to remember the incident, being confused by the question, or simply not understanding why the incident needed to be mentioned, regardless of why the licensing officer will assume that your failure to mention the incident was done intentionally mislead the court. Retaining counsel can help you avoid this issue so that your application is bullet-proof!
Qualifying Criteria to Obtain a Firearm in New York
One of the first steps in obtaining a firearm permit in New York State is completing the Pistol/Revolver Application form. These forms examine an applicant’s background for various disqualifying factors. These applications can also vary from county to county across the state.
With few exceptions, New York State law requires people to meet certain criteria before they can be approved for a pistol permit. These are some of the most common reasons why people in New York are denied pistol permits. These qualifying factors include the following:
Once you have completed your application, you will likely be required to complete a gun safety class before obtaining a firearm permit.
Remember that if any other state court revokes your firearm license, classifies you as ineligible for such a permit, or orders the immediate surrender of one or all firearms by an applicant even after moving to New York State, New York courts will be required to follow this action.
An Experienced New York State Attorney can Help
Many issues can arise in the context of your Second Amendment Rights. Fortunately, an experienced attorney can examine the details and increase your chances of securing those rights!
Here are some of the most common issues that the attorneys at Nave Law Firm can assist you with, and they can remedy and protect your Second Amendment:
1) Applying for a Pistol Permit? – applying for a pistol permit is the most crucial part of acquiring a pistol in NY. Having an attorney at this initial step of the process can help ensure this process goes smoothly.
2) Denial of Pistol Permit? – being denied a pistol permit is not the end of the road for your Second Amendment Rights. There are several solutions that you can seek to protect your rights! Consult with an attorney here at Nave Law Firm to determine which solution is best for you!
3) Trouble purchasing a firearm? – If you are having difficulty purchasing a firearm, there are many potential causes for this. Often, these issues can be resolved on the state level, but occasionally, there may be a federal issue preventing you from purchasing your firearm! Our attorneys can best direct you to resolve these issues!
4) Prior Conviction or Psychiatric Commitment? – In many cases, prior convictions or involuntary psychiatric commitments may prevent you not only from acquiring a pistol permit but also from purchasing a firearm at all! Depending on your circumstances, the attorneys here can help assist you in curing those prior convictions/psychiatric commitments so that you can continue to exercise your Second Amendment rights legally and safely.
5) Have your firearms been seized with you having any say? – NY State has authorized “Red Flag” laws allowing a court to seize your firearms if someone alleges you are unsafe. The initial seizure of your firearms can occur without you even being heard! If you are in a similar-sounding situation, consult with an attorney here at Nave Law Firm to ensure that a hearing is granted and that your side of the story is heard!
Speak with a Knowledgeable Attorney.
In New York State, the regulations and rules create many issues for law-abiding gun owners and those who wish to become gun owners. If you are unsure of what to do, contact Nave Law Firm today to schedule a free case evaluation.
what our clients are saying
Filled with hard-working employees and highly communicative about the information that they need from their clients, they treat your matters with friendly manners and seriousness towards the situation. My case was handled with detail and I never felt as though I was being neglected.
Honest great lawyer, and very empathetic and reasonable. Their Willingness to work with you and help is amazing. Would highly recommend. Not one of those slimy lawyers that milk every dime they can out of you. One of the good ones.
Fast, honest and professional. I had court in 3 days and was about loose my license and Nave Law firm took care of everything and I didn’t even have to go to court. They were worth every penny and I will recommend them to everyone. Thank you again Nave law Firm!
It’s hard to see the “light” after you’re in such an awful position. It’s important to choose a team who will literally be by your side through it all. Working with this firm was the best decision I could have made. Thanks again Nave Law Firm.
The entire team at Nave Law is second to none. They are dedicated, hard working and responsive. During my experience I felt as if I was their only client. Communication was exceptional as well as the dedication and attention to my case. Thank you all for everything!
Our honest, transparent approach to client representation helps us better protect our clients.
With more than 100 years of experience, we leverage our insight to benefit our clients.
We are dedicated to being a faithful and reliable support system for our clients.
talk to our team
"*" indicates required fields
* indicates required fields